Last week we posted an infographic about eLearning trends to follow in 2015 (click HERE to see the infographic).
As we said in last post, which had extended information on eLearning trends for 2015, we found really interesting stuff when doing our research for the infographic. We already shared our sources and information on 5 trends in THIS post. Today, we’re sharing the remaining 5 trends that you can’t overlook next year!
Application Programming Interface (API) is basically the way applications communicate with each other. It is widely used as it allows exchanging the data and extending functionalities from one application to another.
The widely accepted SCORM and Tin Can API are two examples of APIs in eLearning; they allow content to flow between different LMSs in a previously impossible way. Systems like , offer non-programmable ways to integrate APIs between services and achieve desired effects.
Possible uses of APIs in an eLearning context:
- New user in your LMS -> New user in CRM
- User finished eLearing course -> Email triggered to instructor
- User gets a badge -> Share on user’s LinkedIn or Badgepack
- New course is created -> Newsletter sent to users
Content creation is a tedious and time consuming process. It would be much easier if we could somehow automate the process of content creation. It could potentially create a revolution on the quantity and quality on online courses. Current implementations of such algorithms can for example summarize the content of a page or create
Possible automation of course creation:
- Quizzes, tests and exercises generated automatically from the course content
- Algorithmically generated content of the course 
- Customizing courses for each user by automatically matching content or difficulty to user skills
Augmented learning is an on-demand learning technique where the environment adapts to the learner.
By providing remediation on-demand, learners can gain greater understanding of a topic while stimulating discovery and learning. According to statistics, the Augmented Reality market is expected to grow significantly – from 60 million users in 2013 up to 200 million in 2018. ()
Possible use of augmented learning:
- QR code hunting
- Courses developed for Oculus Rift
- Location-based funtionalities. Engaging learners into real life activities based on GPS tracking
- Apple Watch and Google Glass apps extending the courses
Massive Open Online Courses are online open courses for unlimited numbers of users. MOOCs are often used by top universities to share courses and lectures with students around the world via web.
It allows interactive user forums to build a community for students, professors, and teaching assistants. In the last few years MOOCs are also getting more popular among companies and organizations.
Possible corporate use of MOOCs:
- Employee training – internal training of big groups of employees
- Future employee training – open courses for teaching skills that are tailored to the company’s needs
- Corporate Social Responsibility – sharing knowledge and skills and increasing brand recognition
Rise of cloud LMS
There were predictions about the death of LMS’s, but despite that, last years showed constant growth of the industry and there are forecasts for next years of continuing growth.
While higher education is still going to use LMS’s, corporations will become the number one type of LMS customer. Out of all learning systems, cloud-based platforms had the highest growth in the last two years.
Statistics show that:
- Learning Management Systems will reach the growth rate of 25% for the next five years, reaching $7,83 billion in 2018 ()
- Cloud based authoring tools and learning platforms noted 9% growth rate in North America
- Predicted growth of one of the top cloud-based LMS’s, Talent LMS for 2015 is over 100%
These are our predictions for 2015, based on statistics, internal surveys and our experience. Some of these already existed in 2014, some not.
Now your turn.
What’s your prediction for 2015?
Looking forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Save time, frustration and money with TalentLMS, the most-affordable and user-friendly learning management system on the market. Try it for free for as long as you want and discover why our customers consistently give us 4.5 stars (out of 5!)